The Earl House

The Earl House was located at 67 North Main Street in Providence when its roof sheltered Edgar Allan Poe during his visits here in 1848. It was located opposite the First Baptist Meeting-House. The building is no longer standing, but we do have an early engraving of the structure by Richard Smith, when it was called the American House (see below).

Clipping with sketch of American House, no. 69 North Main Street at the corner of Steeple Street